Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Minimalism or Missed Opportunity?

When we left off I was babbling on about Rosario and here´s a shot of the National Monument to the flag. IMO, the monument is more impressive then the flag.



Also the guy who designed it Belgrano is buried here. Here´s his eternal flame.



and finally the backside of the monument



I napped twice, both good naps with weird dreams. You know you´ve had a good nap when you have weird dreams and remember them.

I went out for another Steak dinner that was incredible by the way. $15 for salad, steak, and half bottle of a really tasty Malbec. This got me thinking, why haven´t done more of this? Am I trying to be too minimalist? Sure $15 is alot to spend when you could have a $2 ham and cheese sandwich. But the beef here is nothing like what we have the states. So am I being too minimalist? At which point does extreme practice of minimalism constitute a missed opportunity?

For example, at the winery the other day, after the tasting we had the chance to taste some of the other higher end wines, but they were $5 a glass. Point is when am I going to get the opportunity to taste the first pressing of the best Malbec grapes (in Mendoza) aged in brand new french oak barrels for $5 a glass? I passed because it seemed expensive. Putting it in perspective, prices are in Pesos here and when I´m spending 80 pesos a night for a hotel room, 20 peses for a glass of vine seems pricey, and it is, but minimalism or missed opportunity? I ask again. Tawk among-st yaselves.

Back to Rosario, some cool church



When I awoke yesterday morning is was POURING!



I wanted to browse around Rosario some more but seeing as how my flight leaves from Buenos Aires tomorow night (which is now today) I figured I´d better bag this place and make the 4 hour bus ride to BA and spend my final night there.

I met an interesting chick on the bus, Carola. Shes a hip hop signer in a band and a business student here in BA.



We discussed the differences in Argentinian and American culture and how EVERY American that travels down here dresses like me. Caro says she spot an American 10 kilometers away.

Looking for a hotel I wanted to step up a little and considered going WAY upscale but couldn´t justify 10% of my entire travel budget on 1 nights lodging. Some weeks ago I heard some trophy wife looking lady mention that the San Antonio was cheap and really nice. I was sure we had diffent definitions of "cheap..." ummm please, can we just agree to use the term "minimalist", thank you.

So when I was passing by it I stopped in and inquired about a room for the night. They were $50. I explained to the desk clerk, (in my best pre-rehearsed Spainish) that I had been traveling for 3 weeks and staying in hostels and cheap hotels and this would be my last night in Argentina and I wanted a little luxury. He said he would give me a suite for 10% more.

Here´s what my (roughly) $62 bought me in BA´s Puerto Madero high end section.



Here´s a view from the other angle



Here´s the view from someone as if they were looking in the window and what they see. A non moving lunk that kicked back in the ULTRA comfy bed all night.



So I leave tonight to come back to the states. Here´s my return pose.



So I´ve done it, and on budget too. $2000 for three weeks is not too bad for a grown up traveling like a kid with bad Spainish and an even worse sense of direction. Thanks Lomania for the miles and support! also PM for holding down the fort.

So all said and done, It was a great trip. I didn´t get to see all the things I wanted to and go everywhere I wanted to, but hey, that just means there more to see on my next trip, which knowing me I´ll be planning shortly.

Ciao Caio and see you soon stateside!

No comments:

Post a Comment