Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Saturday, September 5, 2009

A momentary lapse of minimalism?

Starting this post I just want to say I received a number of emails from you adoring fans now that I´m cool. As my time is limited and my extremities aching, I´m unable to respond to each and every email. The best way for you to express your pleasure or distain is to leave a comment at the bottom of my posts. You can do it anonymously (but I´ll still know its you.)


Last night I took it easy, rested the leg and caught up on some reading. Books are heavy, and I have 4 of them, and each one adds weight like Ultegra vs Dura Ace. After jettisoning the deadweight of my ski gear and the embarrasment of my failed ski adventure, I stuffed all I could into my simple carry-on. When I awoke this morning I was struck with how good it feels NOT to have to rush off to catch a flight or a bus by setting the alarm for 3am. Here´s a shot of a wet Santiago as I was leaving this AM



As I was dressing myself I was wondering KR, where are you when I need you? I was torn between ¨should I wear the blue shirt or the green shirt.¨Then I remembered who the HELL cares? You´re in South America living out of a backpack! Its not like the fashion police are coming to get you in Santiago. I mean REALLY does the color of your shirt really affect the quality of your vacation? NO! Does your shirt define you as a person? You are not your fuckin kackis (quote borrowed from the movie ¨fight Club¨)

I chose the blue, besides they both go with the beige pants.

On the way there, I realized global corporate domination knows no boundary.



On the bus to Valparaiso I shared a couple beers with the guy in the seat next to me, Ricardo as I intently tried to disect the nuances of the chilean bastardization of the Spainish language. They seem to trail off the last syllable of every word. El mar becomes El mehhh, and so forth. Ricardo said we had to be carefull not to get caught drinking on the bus or they would fine us and kick us off.

Upon arriving in Valparaiso I was determined NOT to take a Taxi to the hotel. So armed with the famous Gates Sense of Direction and the Lonely Planet map I march off to the Hostel. Here´s a shot of my arrival.



I had reserved a single room in a hostel recommended by Lonely Planet for $12 a night. When I got here the price was $20 a night. Inquiring as to why the price had gone up, (a phenomenon I had noticed all throughout South America,) I was informed that it the had not. The problem was the dollar had gone down. Here´s a shot on the way to the Hostal



After getting what seemed like a perfectly acceptable single room, and being told that no room with a view was available, I got upgraded. A double room for the same price. Sometimes when you´re a nice person, nice things just happen to you.

Heres what it looks like.



One note: The brand Ex-Officio ROCKS! Everything they make is good, from underwear to pants to shirts. EVERTHING. I just had to say that.

Which brings me to tonight. After hoofing it up to the Hostel, some 1000 feet in vertical gain, I was wiped out and hungry. I consulted my Lonely Planet guide for the nearest place to eat, but all I found was bar Conception. Consulting the menu I saw entrees about $12, well within my minimalist price range. After sitting down and realizing that $12 was an appetizer, I said ¨screw it¨(actual language censored) and ordered anyway. It was 5 star, and one of the best meals I´ve had to date, anywhere. I started with the pumpkin soup with ginger (i´m a sucker for a good pumpkin soup) and ended with walnut encrusted osterich over risotto. With a couple pico sours, house style, I was in heaven and $50 lighter. The even threw in a desert liquor which just goes to prove that even when they give something for free it can still be CRAPPPP! (think scottish soccer houligans.)

Minimalism, I love you, just not tonight...

1 comment:

  1. Hi P-wog, I applaud your minimalism, am trying to rid myself of the trappings of wealth as well. It is overwhelming, but one diamond at a time, you know?! I am impressed with how light you packed. There is a saying "Good clothes open doors" and I do believe that is true. Hey, you packed that little and still looked good enough to eat in a 5 star restaurant, so?!
    Have to check out Ex Officio if you like it, popular down there?
    xoKR

    ReplyDelete