Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Viva Cuba Libre (really this time, I promise)

Cuba, yes. I´ve still not finished with Tulum but here´s the rest of the story in pictures. Aren´t they supposed to be worth a thousand words? The rest of the album is over at flikr.com which you can see by clicking here or haz clik aqui, si prefieres...

Cuba, yes Cuba. I have to admit I wanted to go there largely because we, as Americans, aren´t supposed to. It appeals to the rebel in me and my insatiable desire to trample the bushes off the beaten path. I´m told its not actually illegal for American citizens to visit Cuba, its just illegal to spend money there because of the embargo. I´m also told that the law isnt enforced. Not that I really care that much, sometimes I just like trouble, uhhh certain kinds of trouble that it is.

I must admit all the propoganda we hear in the United States about how evil fidel and the communists in Cuba are had me a little apprehensive going through customs into Cuba. They really check you there. Ask a ton of questions make you smile for the camera. To make matters worse, Paula and I got the extra 3rd degree, they took our passports and made us wait for a supervisor, (and everyone else in line behind us as well,) who came and asked all kinds of questions like, are you bringing photographic equipment? Do you have satillite communication equipment? and so and so forth. Actually I´m not really sure if it was us they cared about or whether they were sending a message to the other travelers, something like, "Next time, don´t stand in line behind the Americans." I think I violated gentlemens protocol by playing the dumb American that speaks very little Spanish and let Paula do the talking, which she did very well.

In Cuba they import anything so its not unusual to see car tires wrapped in plastic, toaster oven, or other unusual objects coming through the conveyor belt with your luggage. The Cuban government imposes huge tariffs on anything imported and its only predicted to get worse in September when tariffs are expected to rise to 100% of value. So if you bring in a $100 car tire, you pay a $100 import tax. 

Paula made friends with an Italian businessman named Bruno and we became fast friends. He helped through customs and waited for us to get our baggage. Its worth noting here that since everything is government owned they are in NO hurry, especially when it comes to unloading the baggage from the airplane. Bruno turned out to be a great resource as well as a friendly guy and took us to a "casa particular." Which is just a private residence where travelers rent a room from the owner of the house. All the tourist accomadations have air conditioning (that I saw) including hotels, casa particulares etc which is handy as its 90+ degress and 75% humidity. To the unacclimated its like getting out of the shower but never drying off, ever. Later that night we went to dinner with Bruno and his second wife Lupe at (of course) an Italian restaurant.


Where´s Waldo Again?

So lets tour a little of Havana shall we? Bruno and Lupe took us on tour of Havana´s center starting with a pedi cab ride to "heaven."

Can You Guess Whether the Dura-Ace is 9 or 10 Speed?
Heaven, I have arrived and your name is the Partagas Cigar Factory Outlet Store.

I think I could die happy right now


Inside it was a variable cornucopia of fesh cigar smells oh so yummy I think I´d like my ashes interned in a humidor somewhere inside. There were so many yummies to choose from, but ultimately, it Partagas series D no 4´s (or 5´s) that really are my favorites.

Oh Scrumptous Nicotine Goodness How I Love Thee
Shortly after what ensued was nothing less than nicotine adled bliss.


Further on the tour I met an old friend and had a chat about the meaning of symbolism in literature.

The Way I See It Is...
And what city would be complete without a crazy signing guy?


Further along we took we hit the Havana Club Rum Factory where Paula got her Salsa on. The video is a little dark, sorry cheap camera, but worth watching and listening especially.




And with that, I will pause to take a breath, rest, regroup and recoup my energy. I hope to entertain you once more with Havana part 2...



1 comment: