Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sound Mind Sick Body and Is It Really Travel Related

I'm trying to keep my posts travel related and prevent this blog from becoming "The All About Pablo Show," but couldn't we broaden the definition of "Travel" just temporarily to include a merry pain filled trip down the illness path? That wouldn't be too much of a stretch would it? At the risk of straying I'd like to take you on a small detour of sorts, one that's sure to entertain but might be a slight departure from my previous written word. In the bigger picture isn't everything really travel related? Isn't life really one big journey? Maybe Pablo's Adventure Travels should become Pablo's LIFE Adventure Travels.

Good, now that that's settled I think I'll begin where I last left off in the end of my last post where the Health-O-Meter, that once neutral Switzerland-esqe bastion of impartiality, has begun to hate. And more specifically, hate me. The Health-O-Meter is my home scale by the way.

40 Is The New 20 and 148.5 Is The New 180
The previous day I had begun vomiting and knew I was hospital bound one way or the other. On this morning as I dry-heaved in the parking lot at my doctor's office waiting for them to open, I began to ponder some ways that one knows how sick he or she really is. As I was getting dripped with 2 liters of IV fluids plus anti nausea medication it dawned on me. You know you're really sick when they put you in a darkened room at the doctors office with IVs in the arm and the staff tiptoes around you and speaks in a mouse like whisper. "You OK in here?" and "Can I get you anything, water perhaps?" Before it was just play sick, now its REAL sick.
Who Wants a Drink? Pabs Is Buying The First Liter
Exploratory Abdomen Surgery later and partial small bowel obstruction later, left with the prospect of another surgery and a sharpening mind. What, a sharpening mind you say? Its funny but as my body gets sicker, my mind gets sharper. Its like taking that mental energy I can no longer use physically and turning it into something...ummm, well mental. The more the body fails the quicker the mind gets. I took classes, learned new skills wrote a strategic marketing plan for the office, and honed in on my priorities in my life, (really most everything is bullshit that doesn't really matter in the grand gurn-scheme of things.) In a way its a little scary, kinda like how the engine of an old car runs its best just before it explodes.

Another way to look at it might be this scene from Blader Runner at 4:42 where the God of Bio-mechanics says to Roy, "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long" and Pablo has burned oh so very bright.
Roy Was "Quite The Prize" Pablo? Jury Still Out But It Looks Like An Acquittal 
While we're on the semi-related topic of travel, the journey through my intestines met with a partial blockage which the first surgery fixed, and the second fixed the (potentially fatal) condition where the completely shredded diaphragm muscles allowed my stomach to tuck up into my chest cavity like the cowering dog it is.
Cowing Dog Stomach Cowering From View
Now that the mechanical problems are fixed and the Surgeon has put Humpty Dumpty back together again, we'll what Adventure Travels Pablo has left. As always, anonymous commenting is appreciated and best wishes to all my well wishers...

No comments:

Post a Comment