Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Beijing 2 White Dragon Kung Fu Trip 2007

So where did I leave off? Beijing. We had five nights and three days (thats the new math) in Bejing. The Hotel is really nice, I mean REALLY nice. Not quite Penninsula nice but right there with it. All the nicer, I have my own room again.

The first two tour days the group went off to the forbidden city, Tienagurn Square and some of the other local haunts I saw last year so I took a couple days off away from the group and did my own thing. Walked the city, went to the silk market had some clothes made, and shopped.

Meanwhile back at the farm this cold has really set in and hit me hard. I would say 85% of the 85 people on this trip are or have been sick from this thing. What really put me over the edge was a few of us (less then puritan Kung Fu types) found out the bar at the hotel had a happy hour, all-you-can- drink any-booze-you-want for $10. Well we drank em blind on black label and Carlsberg beer until they closed the place. The next morning I woke up with this cold full force. OK my fault.

The third day in Beijing we went to see the temple of heaven where the emperor would come pray for a good harvest. Its quite spectactular and ornate with colors and carvings everywhere. It's been rebuild, or restored as the Chinese say, in 2005 and looks brand new. Here's a pic

The second half of the day we visited the summer palace which was quite remarkable perched high on a hill in front of a huge man made lake. Apparently the Dragon Lady, a concubine of the emperor that gave birth to the emperor's son ran China into the ground after the emperor died diverting money from the navy to build the summer palace. Subsequently the Japanese came invaded and conquered China. Pictures on Flickr when I get back. Or here now...

Yesterday we took a flight from Beijing to Hong Kong, getting up at 4a and not flying until 8a (a disadvantage of traveling with a group so large). We flew on a 737 which always kills my ears. Exhausted in Hong Kong (and already having been here) I cacooned in my room (oh yes, private once again the famous Gates luck saves the day) and slept 12 hours.

We fly out today and sadly our time together must come to an end, like all good things in life. We take off today, which is monday for you tuesday for me, we land 2 hours before we take off, tues for the both of us. Confused? Ya me too....

No comments:

Post a Comment