Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Beijing White Dragon Kung Fu Trip 2007

Happy happy and merry merry, Thanksgiving that is.

We arrived in Beijing yesterday, the whole day consumed by travel flying from Shanghai to Beijing. While the flight was only 2 hours getting a group of 85 people to the airport, checked in, and through security requires extra time and planning. Plus we sat on the tarmac for 35 minutes before taking off. Airtravel is not a exact science when it comes to flying in China. The flight from Guangzhou airport to Shanghai was an interesting tale. We took off from Guangzhou airport the largest airport in the world and believe me the Chinese make sure you know it. 300 foot high ceilings and building that span for miles. Problem was we sat on the tarmac for three hours while the chinese airforce conducted surprise exercises over shanghai. Apparently they can just do that whenever they feel like it and passenger airtraffic comes to a screeching halt.

Before leaving Shanghai a bunch of us went for massages (not the rub and tug kind.) We got an hour of foot reflexology and an hour of full body work all for $13. Believe me, the 4'10" chinese gal digging her elbows into my back knew what she was doing. I hadn't realized how tight my upper body has become until then.

We just arrived in Bejing and I dont have much to report but I can give you a food update. While I've been trying EVERYTHING they put in front me I've noticed the difference between southern and northern China cuisine. Basically, they south is pretty bland, the north (shanghai) is better and Beijing rocks ! I told someone on the trip that I was trying everything and they commented, "Yeah but are you enjoying it?" I had to think about it for a minute but the answer is no, not really. I'm just sort of going through the motions. Last night however we had a REALLY good meal of dumplings. By far the best and most satisfying meal yet. I'm not discounting the possibility that my pallate has become so desensitized that even the worst day old fast food would be good about now.

The group headed off to the forbiden city and Tienamen Square this morning without me. I opted out after already having been there last year. The hotels we stay at give us wake up calls as a group pretty early, so I decided to take the phone off the hook and xanax it, i mean sleep it. Oh those willy Chinese ! They were prepared for that eventuality. They actually sent someone up to my room and knocked. Figuring they would just go away, I didn't answer and they actually opened the door and came in my room and woke me up. Drats....

These damn puritan Kung Fu people, not a partier among the bunch. I can't say I blame them too much. Paying kick-your-teeth in hotel or bar prices for 3.5% rice beer gets pretty old fast. Boy what I would'nt pay right now for a good Stone or Pizza Port IPA. I hear the group from England likes to rage a little, maybe i'll see if I can get in with them.

I'm headed off to the pearl market gift shopping for the lucky few of you :-)

In case you were wondering, Beijing doesn't have turkey, stuffing or cranberrys...

Bidding you all adieu (sp?) and best thanksgiving wishes ! Is Thanksgiving today tomorrow or yesterday? I'm lost in the space time continuium of international travel... HELP !

No comments:

Post a Comment