Excuse Me !!!!

EXCUSE ME! 3rd World keyboards are not Pablo friendly, so excuse if you will grammar, punctuation, spelling, apostrophes, slang, sexual/drug innuendos, racially sensitive remarks and just otherwise general cantankerous nature of Pablo's mild mannered demeanor. Any offense taken is generally intended

Thursday, February 19, 2009

My "special purpose" in life...

I think I´ve found my "special pupose" in life, (think Steve Martin in the Jerk,) it is... world travel. OK, so thats not a great revelation. My only problem is this crazy thing called "work" and its by product "money" keep getting in my way.

In case you were wondering, there is no good beer in Lima. The best I´ve found is a dark beer called Cusquena. its a 5.6 more like a stout, and tastes very much like Negra Modelo. Maybe my special purpose is to bring craft brewing to South America. I´ll have to explore this more, travel various countries down here and write a business plan. I think it could work, it´d sure be fun trying!

Lima is HOT, tempature wise. Today is 80´s and sunny. Yesterday had to be 90´s and cloudy. Hydration is key, and the local supermarcado sells 2.5 liter bottles of the local brand of water (made by the Coca Cola bottling company)for about 30 cents, that unless you want Evain and its 3 bucks...

My roomate took off for Bolivia this morning, waking me at 630a after we stayed
up till 130a sampling the future competition, beer that is...Time got away from us swapping stories of bike crashes and pros that got caught doping in the peloton. He´s off to establish residency in Bolivia and find a job working in a bike shop and riding his mountain bike through the local trails. I have a funny feeling that is my next destination ,-) (thats the best smiley face I can figure out how to make on this funky keyboard...)

Keeping with my tradition of sampling the local dishes, I had Cuy today (fried ginea pig.) They say it tastes like.... sweet pork. HA! you thought I was going to say chicken! I say it tastes like um, nothing I´ve really had before. Kind of stringy, a little chewy and not much meat on those little bones. I kept thinking to myself "didn´t I have a pet one of these as a kid?" I also couldn´t help feeling grateful for the low dose of antibiotics I started before leaving, just in case I get a little too adveturous and sick... Not a great one but here´s a pic. you can just make out the little rat like head...

The Hostels are pretty informal and its nice being with like-minded 20somethings carrying backpacks, you know, such as me (insert smiley face here.) Saving a little cash isn´t bad either. Here´s a picture of the Flying Dog...
Heres a picture from the lounge at night...


I´ve already booked a private room in Cusco at the Flying GurnDog there too. So much for being a stranger in a strange land with no plans. Each time I land I feel so foreign I want to just present myself and say, "take me to your leader..."

Due to my short stay here in Lima I´m taking the touristy tour bus today to see the city...The bus leaves from John F Kennedy park. They have a statue in his honor right accross the park (named after him)pics here.
and from the bus trip... churches old buildings bla, bla bla...
Oh and of course the same old obligatory million year old cathedral and ancient catacombs you see in every city...
They estimate that 25,000 people are buried under this church, here´s whats left of a few hundred of them...

I was thinking of raising a little hell, you know jumping in on some protests, throwing rocks and clashing with the police, you know the usual. Then I saw this...(notice the water cannons on top)

I was still considering it when this rolled up...

Ohh no..set back! Sort of... I found the local fumadora with my favorite Cuban Cigar.. Partagas series D no. 4. yummy but dangerous considering their about 30% less than Tijuana...

Lots of local "talent" here. Let´s just say Lima is a "feature rich" environmet.

I´m off to Cusco in the morning bright and early 540a I´ll write from there...

1 comment:

  1. You just made me realize how much my life is sucking right now....

    - Javier

    ReplyDelete